Thursday, June 7, 2007

ABA DH Race #1 - COP June 3rd


It was a lovely day @ COP Sunday for the first of three ABA Race series. Lot's of racers showed up, not as many as the Wed night races, but still a good 50+. Not a bad showing for the return of DH to the Alberta "licensed" racing scene.
The course was running fast with the lack of moisture all week. It sure was great to see the likes of Partick Lebel and Damian Bissett out to race. These boys whoop it up all year racing pro bmx, so it was nice to see them not riding little kids bikes!!
I thought the team worked pretty well together to help pick out the faster lines on the course on Sunday. Unfortunately Robert had a crash in his run, cause he was looking oh so fast in practice. In the Juniors Ex category Glen took the win. First Junior Ex win I think for him, so props!!
So how'd it go for me?
With Damian And Patrick in the mix, combined with Andrew Pohlmann (Cafe Racers) racing on a Santa Cruz Nomad I certainly knew I had my work cut out for me. My time the previous week was 2:00.91 on a V10, so I knew Andrew would be able to beat that on a Nomad for sure. Not to mention in the Senior Ex category, Mitch Thorton was able to nail a 2:02 in his race run on a Giant Regin. So the question in my head was, do I run Heckler or the V10? Funny I had the same question @ Sea Otter and choose the v10 then. This time I decided that I would be able to make-up more time in the bumpy sections riding the 10 then what I could make up on the sprint with the heckler, I'd just have to pedal harder on the 10 then I did @ Sea Otter. In the end I was able to sneak a 1:58 something in and take the win. Really all I attribute that too is increasing the cadence of my pedal stroke on the sprint and making sure I'm always 1 gear too high exciting corners. Why? Well after watching WC guys on video's, I noticed that the 1st & 2nd pedal stroke out of every corner they take is very heavy (meaning High Power, low Cadence).So that's how I practiced on Sunday morning. I just memorized exactly what gear I needed to be in for specific exiting or speed generating corners. Now, if only I can start transitioning this type of thinking into more course's I race.

The Team is off to "Race the Ranch" this weekend in K-loops. Kevin should have the pits looking sweet and rumor has it our graious sponsor Pioneer/Visions added a sweet soundsystem to the trailer. Dance Party!! Ok, not really.

Next Wednesday night race I'm going to wear a funny outfit...look out!!!

Picture courtesy of the beautiful Elise Russell !!!

No comments: