Monday, May 17, 2010

What's the Difference Between Dirt and Roost?

I recently got my new Session 88 and so far it's absolutely off the hook. The only real differences between this one and my old one are suspension, tires and weight, but this one is so much better. I got the new Boxxer up front, a DHX RC4 in the back, and it all tips the scale at slightly less than 39lbs (with pedals).

Today while I was up at nose hill riding my new baby and something absolutely amazing happened to me. I was having a pretty good run, when suddenly I decided to carry more speed then usual into a small jump, thus propelling myself through space and time directly into a berm. I G'd out in the corner, brushed my bars against the ground, and rode it out at a speed approaching that at which sound travels. Upon looking back to assess the destruction, I was amazed to see what was likely the largest cloud of roost I have ever prodroost (pun intended). Needless to say, I was pretty much in awe. After a short bout of laughter, it was back to business.

Luckily, it wasn't over there. On my way back to the top for another run, I had a epiphany that would forever alter the way I think about the powdery brown substance that composes the vast majority of our trails. While determining the manner in which I would describe the aforementioned events to my friends and associates, I thought about the term "a cloud of roost". What is roost anyways? How is it made? Why is it that mountain bikers, especially downhill racers, have such an affinity for roost?

In that very moment, it became clear to me that roost is so much more then just dirt. Like Holy water is more than just water or Hot chocolate more than just chocolate milk at an elevated temperature, I concluded that roost is dirt that has been anointed with radness; earth that has been jettisoned into the atmosphere as a result of awesomeness.

Ultimately, roost is tha bomb. All dirt aspires to one day be roost, so get out and make the world a better place by shredding some soil skyward.

Daniel Banks.

No comments: